Sunday, March 4, 2012

2012 Scrapbook Trend #9: Decorative Tape

Hello my friends! Today I am sharing another 2012 Scrapbook Trend project. Trend # 9 is decorative tape, aka "Washi" tape. I love this trend, and have already tried it several times. This week my project was inspired by the sketch over at ScrapFit. Here is my layout:
I used two brands of tape- the black/white polka dot is from Smash and and the other tape is from 7 Gypsies. The 7 Gypsies tape was solid black, but I thought it was too plain.So I experimented with making my own design. **Here is a tip for Top Tip Tuesday on how I created my own design on the tape:  I stamped a script background stamp onto the tape and then heat embossed with white embossing powder. The powder became pretty messy (it didn't just stick to the stamped area, it stuck to the whole surface) and it caused the image to kindof run together, but I actually liked the look so I went with it. It would be fun to experiment with different ways of making your own designs on the solid colored tape.
I also tried my We R Memory Keepers Sew Stamper. I can't say that I am the biggest fan of this one. I thought it would be a fun way to have the stitch 'look' without doing actual sewing. However, it's a little hard to keep the roller in a straight line and I wish they had a head that was a single line of "stitches" instead of the two. I actually ruined 3 pieces of cardstock before being okay with this one (Or I just didn't want to ruin any more cardstock!). Oh well, they can't all be winners! :)
I used Elegant Edges to create this sweet little border. This is still my go-to cart!!
I pulled out another favorite font cart- All Mixed Up- for the title, and then added some thickers for more interest.
So I hope I have inspired you to try these decorative tapes. The sky is the limit for what you can do with these. I wish I had more, that will definitely be on my wish list. Two Peas has TONS in so many adorable patterns and different colored solids. I think I see a Two Peas package in my future!
Be sure and come back tomorrow for the 10th and final 2012 Scrapbook Trend- Western Motifs. I struggled for a while with what to do with this one, but ended up loving my project. Can't wait to show you!!

Supply List:
Cardstock: ColorBok
Patterned Paper: SEI
Cartridges: Elegant Edges, All Mixed Up
Washi tape: Smash, 7 Gypsies
Border Punch: Fiskars
Sew Stamper: We R Memory Keepers
Letter Stickers: American Crafts

I am entering my layout in the following challenges:
ScrapFit: Sketch
The Paper Variety: Bingo- I chose the bottom row: layout, stitching and a die cut
Fantabulous Cricut: Purple, Green and Turquoise
Top tip Tuesday : Stitches

17 comments:

  1. Heather...I'm in love with your washi tape...the black and white polka dot is to die for! Super cute layout....as always! Smiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout, love the border of stitches. Thanks for joining the Stitching Challenge at Top Tip Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool layout and the washi tape is so fun!!!
    I need to get some :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your layout! I have that Smash tape and haven't used it yet...I love how you incorporated the washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post and such a fantastic layout. I've got to get me some washi tape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing about your experience with the tape and the sew stampers. I had thought about trying a sew stamper but I am really bad a straight lines so that might not be a good product for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely page cool with the tape.
    byebye,Lean

    ReplyDelete
  8. great layout. love how you did the tape. thanks for taking the challenge with The Paper Variety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of the tape and love the black matting. Thanks so much for joining us @ ScrapFIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As usual Heather, another great LO! Thank for linking up at TPV! Holly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great & fun page! That tape is awesome...I need to get me some :) Love how you backed everything with black...it really makes everything pop! Thanks for working out with us at ScrapFIT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. really fun to look at!! I love crop nites!! thanks for joining us at ScrapFit

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the tape and the fact you added your own touch to it. Love the black matting to this layout...always a fan of that! Very nice layout and thanks for joining us over at ScrapFit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your layout---great take on the sketch---the black elements really make it all POP! Thanks for working out with ScrapFIT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This LO turned out really great. Love the stitch look you've created too and I am loving how you've matched three different DP's for background for your image. Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck. Hope to see you back tuesday for a new challenge. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun LO! Love the faux stitching and "washi" tape! Thanks for the how to's! Thanks for working out with us at ScrapFIT! ~ Blessings

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job with the sketch! Love how your page just pops! Thanks for working out with the sketch challenge at ScrapFIT!! :)

    ReplyDelete